Sunday, November 13, 2016

Miracles Appear In The Strangest Of Places

Lana and CiCi - November 2016
I spent the weekend in Dripping Springs at my dear friend Lana Nelson's birthday party. It is always a huge 2 day celebration of music, filming, eating, drinking and reconnecting with old friends. This year was very much needed. I arrived feeling raw after a couple of days of not even getting out of my pajamas. Worried about the future of our country in the wake of Tuesday's presidential election.

After arriving, I started to feel better when I realized that my friends are as concerned as I am. Somehow the solidarity made me feel safer. By the second day I was starting to feel like myself again.

This morning I woke up and I was having a cup of coffee. My norm has changed. I haven't watched TV all week so after meditating, I was quietly reading on the couch. My phone rang, I looked over and caller ID said "Unknown." Needless to say I NEVER answer those phone calls but this morning something told me to answer. The voice on the other end of the line was like an angel with an Indian (from India) accent.

"Hello Christina, this is Dr. Misra." I looked at the clock on the wall. It was 9:00 am. Sunday. Why would my neurologist be calling me? She's booked until next year and was nice enough to fit me in, now she is calling me on a Sunday? Maybe she discovered something more in my MRI. For a moment, I was very confused and a little scared.

She said "How are you? Sorry to call on Sunday morning. I am referring you to a genetic counselor, Dr. Buchanan. He normally only sees children." My brain is racing. He only sees children because... they have only seen all of these anomalies in children that die young? Wait. I am a miracle. This phone call is a miracle. She was rattling off so much information, I was scrambling for a pen and paper to write down all the information she is giving me. I finally asked if she could email me all the information.

She didn't have a clue that to me this was miraculous. I was having a hard time registering that not only had she gotten me in to see her earlier this week, but she was calling me on Sunday morning with the help I have been praying for. My brother and I have at least one conversation a week about  what a difficult time we have had with neurologists and most of them are booked 6 months out. I asked for a miracle but I was looking more in lines of the president elect falling off the face of Earth. This is way better! She also told me that since I have been taking seizure meds for so long (since I was 25) that I need to have a bone density scan. Why hasn't anyone ever told me that?  She told me there is a website called "OMIM" that is an Online Catalog of Human Genes and Genetic Disorders.

Granted, I have been crying all week intermittently with praying for a miracle. I didn't specify what kind of miracle I wanted, I was just praying for a miracle after a very dark week in America.

As Willie Nelson says, miracles appear in the strangest of places. Never underestimate the power of prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment