Saturday, March 17, 2007

Laid Off From My 15 Year Job at the Austin American-Statesman!

Christina Fajardo - Graphic Designer
Austin American-Statesman

So after 15 years as a graphic designer in the Marketing Department at the at the Austin American-Statesman, I got laid off yesterday..... what a blessing! I feel so free! I had been trying to figure out how I was going to transition out of the 40 hour a week job and it was handed to me on a silver plater during my annual review. 

As if by magic, I was able to walk out of my corner office on the 3rd floor, get in my car and drive down Congress Ave to Opal Divine's. There was a SXSW event going on. All my friends were there. Jimmy LaFave was the first person I saw. He said "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at work?" I said "I just got laid off." He said "You don't look very upset." I smiled and said "I'm not!" 

I sat and listened to all my favorite bands, drank a cocktail and ate my favorite food, feeling extremely grateful for the job I had for 15 years while I raise two children, bought a house, a car and all those other luxuries that a single person has to purchase for one's self. 

I'm really looking forward to what my future is going to look like. 
I wonder who is going to do all that work.... ha! Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment