Sunday, March 4, 2012

Happy 5th Birthday to My Grandson, Andrew!

Andrew 5 years old today!
Today was a big day in St Louis. My grandson, Andrew turned 5 years old. My son, Christian, sent a few photos and videos of him and his friends at the birthday party, then going to see a movie, eating chocolate cake and then later having PaPa Roy put toys together for him. I couldn't help but feel a little left out, I woke up bright and early in Austin still tired from a 5 day canvas painting spree. I drank 3 cups of strong coffee while hanging art at Hyde Park Bar & Grill Westgate for my second art show for SXSW.

I can't even tell you how glad I am to have the art work for the SXSW show behind me. I am pretty sure I won't be painting another guitar for a while unless it is commissioned for a lot of money. I painted ten, count them, ten guitars. Normally I am inspired to paint whatever it is I am painting however, I have so moved passed my guitar painting phase for obvious reasons but I had agreed to do this SXSW show in October.

The last dream in the blue bedroom

Two weeks ago I went to the art store and bought 4 different canvas sizes. Lots of them. Normally that would inspire me but they sat in the living room and stared at me. I finally decided to put some blue paint on one canvas. Then I found three pieces of blue paper that matched and decoupaged them on. Okay, cool the beginning of a mixed media piece. They looked like windows into a blue room. Then I thought I don't have to paint a red guitar with a brown background, which is what I usually do. I painted a dark brown guitar. The paper wasn't drying flat so I decided to paint a tree over the wrinkles. See how that imperfection thing comes into play when you are an artist? Ya just gotta go with it. Then all of a sudden I remembered a lucid dream I had of a tree that was dying the last time I slept in the blue bedroom. Leaves were falling and I was sad to see the tree die but I knew there was nothing I could do because the seasons were changing. The tree symbolized a big change that was about to occur in my life. All of a sudden painting the blue canvas with the guitar on it became effortless and healing. I was listening to Wayne Dyer and he quoted the 13th-century poet, Rumi.

"The morning breeze has secrets to tell, don't go back to sleep." ~Rumi

He was referring to the early morning hours he calls "God Time" because the world is quiet. It is the perfect time to meditate. We think clearly at that time if we allow ourselves to. I love that time.  I had that dream in the early morning hours and I listened because I knew that the early morning breeze had secrets to tell. 

Changes can be scary but now that I am on the other side of the changes I see there was no other way. On a brighter note... Happy birthday Andrew. HAPPY being the key word here. John Lennon knew the key to life at 5 and I am pretty sure Andrew has that knowledge too. I find I am happiest when I focus on the present, when I feel grateful, when I am doing what I love to do and when I am helping someone else find happiness... yikes... that last one gets me in trouble sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment