Friday, August 26, 2011

Believe

Believe Card 2 by christina_fajardo
Believe Card 2, a photo by christina_fajardo on Flickr.
Thoughts become things... Therefore I am choosing the good ones! I have an alarm on my computer that goes off every morning to remind me to light a candle, say a prayer and commit to my dream. 

Christina's Alter
My mother's Virgen de Guadalupe, who now lives in my living room.

Before my mom passed away, she told me that she wanted me to have her Virgen de Guadalupe because of her four children that were still alive, I was the one who had many health issues. She worried about me constantly and she thought I would need the saint to watch over me. Needless to say, I feel the presence of my mother watching over me so I was thinking who needs a statue in the house? I thought it was cool but had no idea where I would put it. Then my brother became very ill with a brain tumor. I don't remember ever praying with such intent, even when I was sick. I constructed an alter in my living room just to remind myself to pray and my mother's Virgen de Guadalupe became the focal point of my living room. I sort of laugh at myself now because the statue has become an such an important part of my daily ritual. I love the response when someone new walks into my house and does a double take of my little blue Catholic lady standing tall above all the family photos on the alter. I can see that look on there face of "Wow! I didn't realize Christina was so religious!" Then after I tell them the story, they sort of check out the photos to see if the little lady is watching over them. The photos change from time to time and there are other special nick nacks that are special to me on the alter. But mainly, there is a presence of peace around my alter that is a constant reminder that there are those that have gone before us who watch over us. I am glad to have the spirit of my momma with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment